If you are looking to teach First Aid, then apart from the usual requirements such as equipment and insurance you need the following qualifications:
As a minimum this is an in-date Accredited / Regulated 3-day First Aid at Work qualification, however higher level qualifications may be acceptable. Certain professions such as Nurse or Paramedic will also qualify.
You may find you need additional qualifications (such as Paediatric or Outdoor First Aid) for more specialised courses, however these can be added over time.
Teaching and Assessing qualification
To deliver a course you need a Teaching qualification.
To assess students on a course you need an Assessing qualification.
To run your own courses without bringing in someone else, therefore you need both. There are a wide range of teaching and assessing qualifications deemed acceptable. Some may be teaching-only and some may be assessing-only, so bear this in mind when choosing.
The entry-level qualification used by a lot of Trainers is the Level 3 Award in Education and Training (AET). It is a widely delivered qualification and replaced the popular PTLLS qualification in 2014.
Sign up to study for your Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification today. The qualification costs just £300 (when we last checked – E&OE) from this provider for instance:
- roles and responsibilities
- professional boundaries
- teaching and learning theory
- lesson planning and delivery
- professional standards
- and professional development.
Candidates should be prepared to prepare & deliver sessions and evaluate each other.
The assessment of this qualification can be tailored to specific learner requirements but typically candidates are assessed on evidence generated by written assignments, micro teaching, assessment and reflective practices.
- The delivery may be in an intensive week or spread over a number of weeks
- The delivery will take into account the context of education and training and prepares individuals for teaching in a wide range of subject specialisms
- Assignment assessment evidence can be generated at a pace to suit each candidate
- Mentor support
- Successful completion will result in the candidate gaining ITC Level 3 Award in Education and Training